Sunday, May 15, 2011

This Cool New Thing I Do

So, I will have to remember how to get this whole new blog thing started, but let me just explain this one.

A while back I heard co-workers discussing bird houses/bird feeders. I got a glimpse of what they were talking when they visited a website with all of these cool bird houses/feeders. I've always been interested in wild birds. I have always said "that would be a cool hobby for when I'm old". But why does it have to be then? Why can't it be now??

On Mother's Day, I went to Wild Birds Unlimited to check out there stuff. Very cool, very cool stuff is in there. The moment I walked in I was intimidated. So many different houses, feeders, seed, suit, blah blah blah. Where does one start?! I decided to get a book about different birds and a book about how to start feeding them. The latter describes how to attract them, etc. The other bird is one you can take on the field and if you find a blue bird, you look it up under the blue section and so on. Very nice book. The women in the store were very enthused to have a "new birder" come in to the store. I found the enthusiasm refreshing.

Since Mother's Day, I have been watching the birds in my area, learning more about them. It's very cool (or nerdy, which ever you want to refer to it as).

Right now I just have one feeder set up. I have had it set up for some time and I have noticed a few pretty birds come to it. Soon I will take pictures and get them on here.

My plans are to journal my findings on this blog. I am very excited about this new little hobby of mine. I just want to document it to see where it goes. If anything, it's exciting to me :)

That's all, folks!

2 comments:

  1. good luck! I enjoy bird watching too. I just have one bird feeder, but my dream home would have this amazing flower/veggie garden in my backyard so I could sit outside and watch everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is exactly what i want too! it'll be a process, but it is what i am going for!

    ReplyDelete