Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Female American GoldFinch



This is a female American Goldfinch. Let me tell you a story about a couple of them we have in our area.

As I began my little bird watching hobby, I noticed this bird hanging in the magnolia tree. We have several houses hanging from the tree, but this bird seems to hang in the branches.

Well this little birdie started flying from the tree to our window, which is only probably 10 feet from the tree, I'd guess. Not only does she fly up to our window, but she has began to flutter in front of it and peck at our window!

Now I think this is absolutely adorable. I mean it happens SEVERAL times a day. At first it was just the one window, then it was both front windows. The other day I noticed her on the upstairs window and this morning I noticed her on the side of the house pecking at THAT window! Of course, that is where I have my bird feeder, so I wasn't completely surprised. But it just so cute!

Matt thought it was cute at first too, but as it kept happening more he's getting alittle concerned the bird/birds (because sometimes, although rare, there are TWO of them) are going to damage the brand new windows. Haha.

At first I thought the bird was male, which I suppose it still may be. There is much more yellow on it than the picture I posted (which is the female).


This is a picture of the male American Goldfinch. (left) and juvenile male American Goldfinch (right).

So the female and juvenile male look very a like. Hmmm.. I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment